EU Fertilizer Regulation
Introduction of EU Fertilizer Regulation
On June 5, 2019, the European Commission approved and adopted the EU Fertilizer Regulation (EC) No 2019/1009, which will be officially implemented on July 16, 2022, replacing the old Regulation (EC) No 2003/2003. The regulation expands the scope of fertilizer, not only including mineral fertilizers and inorganic fertilizers, but also covering organic fertilizers, biostimulants and fertilizer made from such recycled materials. Fertilizers that meet the requirements of this regulation can be affixed with the CE mark and sold in the EU market. This Regulation should therefore not apply to products which are not CE marked when made available on the market.
PFCs and CMCs under the EU Fertilizer Regulation
According to the specific functions of fertilizer products, fertilizer products are divided into 7 categories. The regulation also regulates the raw materials used in fertilizers, and divides the raw materials into 11 categories according to their origin. Note that the raw materials used in the production of EU fertilizers need to be registered under REACH, otherwise the fertilizer will not be approved in the EU.
|Product Function Categories (PFCs) of EU fertilizing products
|Component Material Categories (CMCs)
|PFC 1. Fertilizer；
PFC 2. Liming material；
PFC 3. Soil improver；
PFC 4. Growing medium；
PFC 5. Inhibitor；
PFC 6. Plant biostimulant；
PFC 7. Fertilizing product blend.
|CMC 1: Virgin material substances and mixtures
CMC 2: Plants, plant parts or plant extracts
CMC 3: Compost
CMC 4: Fresh crop digestate
CMC 5: Digestate other than fresh crop digestate
CMC 6: Food industry by-products
CMC 7: Micro-organisms
CMC 8: Nutrient polymers
CMC 9: Polymers other than nutrient polymers
CMC 10: Derived products within the meaning of Regulation (EC) No 1069/2009
CMC 11: By-products within the meaning of Directive 2008/98/EC
Notified Body: Responsible for the conformity assessment of fertilizers in EU.
- The fertilizer specifications need to meet the requirements of each PFC under Regulation (EC) No 2019/1009;
- The raw materials used shall meet the requirements of each CMC under Regulation (EC) No 2019/1009；
- The label should be requirements under Regulation (EC) No 2019/1009；
- Product traceability obligations；
- Draft the EU declaration of conformity.
How to Register an EU Fertilizer
Based on different fertilizer product categories and raw material categories, fertilizer manufacturers need to complete different conformity assessment procedures. The conformity assessment procedures are divided into 5 categories, Module A, Module A1, Module B, Module C and Module D1. Fertilizer manufacturers should prepare relevant technical materials and apply for conformity assessment to a Notified Body accredited by the European Union. If the notified body determines that the fertilizing product has met all the relevant requirements, it will issue a certificate to the manufacturer.
The information required for different conformity assessment procedures varies, the basic required information includes:
- A general description of the EU fertilizing product;
- A list of component materials used;
- Manufacturing process;
- Test reports
- A list of the harmonized standards;
- EU fertilizer Registration
- Renewal of Registration Application
- Product Benefit Analysis
- Regulatory Compliance Analysis
- Customized Training
Why Choose Us
- Excellent and professional technical team: with analytical chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, pharmacology, environment, and other professional background of senior technical personnel composed of a strong team; We have a number of internationally certified toxicologists and risk assessment experts to provide solid technical support.
- Rich accumulation: For many years, we have tracked the European Union fertilizer/bio-stimulant management regulations and have rich experience in the registration and implementation of fertilizer products in China, Europe, and The United States. We provide high-quality technical services.
- International service level: We have English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, German and many kinds of language ability of the customer service staff, which can efficiently serve for international customers.
- Good relationship channel: in the process of engaging in the fertilizer and pesticide regulations researching and consulting in many years, we have accumulated rich experience and resources, and are good at problem solving especially in difficult project.