Transport of Dangerous Goods
Dangerous goods are defined as substances and articles with explosive, flammable, poisonous, infectious, corrosive, radioactive etc. hazard properties and need special protection due to the fact that they are easy to cause personal injury and property damage or environmental pollution during transportation, storage, production, operation, usage and disposal.
In the light of technical progress, the advent of new substances and materials, the exigencies of modern transport systems and, above all, the requirement to ensure the safety of people, property and the environment, it is of great necessary for governments and international organizations concerned with the regulation of the transport of DG to develop provisions governing the various modes of transport.
China has long been dedicating to regulate DG transport and has made headway on legislation in recent years, especially in the field of road transport, e.g. “Measures for Safety Administration of Road Transport of Dangerous Goods” and “Regulations Concerning Road Transportation of Dangerous Goods (JT/T 617-2018)”. These regulations have not only prevented accidents to persons or property and damage to the environment as far as possible, but also facilitated the movement of such goods as well as reduce the administrative burden. It is expected that any person who are directly or indirectly involved in the transport of DG within the territory of China shall comply with these regulations, and beyond all doubt, the advantages of legal compliance will become increasingly evident as trade in goods categorized as “dangerous” steadily grows.
Obligations of Major Parties
• Entrust an enterprise with required road transport qualification to transport DG.
• Identify the dangerous goods class and division, product name and identification number of DG.
• Shall not mix DG with general goods during transport or conceal them in declarations or falsely claim DG as general ones.
• Properly package DG.
• Put up indications of DG on the outer package.
• Provide the carrier with a consignment inventory of DG
• Provide a 24/7 emergency telephone number
• Accept the carriage of DG within the business scope approved by the transport administrations.
• Use vehicles and equipment of which the safety technical conditions meet relative standards.
• Load the dangerous goods according to the verified loading capacity of the transport vehicles and vehicles shall not be overloaded.
• Prepare a dangerous goods waybill and require the vehicle driver to carry along it.
• Check the technical conditions of vehicles, tanks of tank vehicles, portable tanks, tank containers as well as satellite positioning devices and keep records before deploying vehicles, and inform drivers and escorts of relevant safety precautions.
• The drivers and escorts shall check and ensure before transport that relevant marks are installed or hung on vehicles carrying DG.
• Check and verify the following items before filling or loading goods:
- Valid certificates of roadworthiness and operating licenses for vehicles
- valid qualification certificates for drivers and escorts
• The validation of the inspection certificates of transport vehicles, tanks of tank vehicles, portable tanks and tank containers
- Actual DG VS. items specified on DG waybills
- Actual DG VS. Certificate of Fitness product list of tanks of tank vehicles
• Conduct loading operations in line with relevant standards
• The quantity of goods loaded shall not exceed the verified loading capacity of transport vehicles
• Ensure that marks are installed or hung on vehicles carrying DG
• Ensure there is no damage or leakage found on packaging containers
• Ensure all shut-off devices on tanks of tank vehicles, portable tanks, and tank containers are closed.
• Establish a record-keeping system for loading DG to document
• Classes, divisions, packing groups
• UN numbers and proper shipping names
• Precedence of hazard characteristics
• Use of packagings
• Requirements for the construction and testing of packagings
Scope of Exemptions
• Quantity limit
• Marking for packages containing limited quantities
• Testing of packagings
• Other requirements
• Maximum number of packages
• Tests for packages
• Marking of packages
• Other requirements
Special provisions applicable to certain articles or substances
As a senior and dedicated specialist in this field, REACH24H has experience in the industry spanning over 10 years and has developed a longstanding partnerships with domestic government/ministries. We are also a close partner with UMCO GmbH, one of the leading companies in the industry, and an active participant of GIZ, an international Industry Association. Having been appointed as the only Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser by several global corporations, carried out more than 50 successful DG compliance trainings, DG assessments and onsite audits during the past several years, we have accumulated rich experience regarding all respects of the industry.
To assist you comply with multifarious regulations internally as well as abroad concerning DG Transport, REACH24H provides you:
• Pre-post safety education/trainings and regular safety education to relevant employees
• Systematic introduction of international/domestic regulations of multimode transport
• Division of responsibilities among consignor, carrier, loader etc.
• Specific explanation regarding each process, e.g. consignment, packing, loading
• Professional technical guidance on classification, SDS and label compiling
• Products classification
• UN number selection
• Exemptions verdict
• Guidance on labelling/marking/packaing
• Requirements under different modes of transport ( air, sea, land)
• Specific requirements concerning certain products, e.g. lithium battery
• Compliance advisory report
Essential information for product transportation (classification, UN number, proper shipping name & packaging)
• Exemption advisory report
All detailed information on the requisites for exempted shipping
• Product analysis report
Customized services based on customer’s product list and needs
• Compliance program report
Provide compliance solutions for practical problems
• File template report
Lithium battery test report
The consignment inventory for consignor
The written statement of packaging for LQ
Loading records for loader
SOPs for each session of Dangerous Goods Management
• Quarterly/Annual onsite check and report
• Certification/qualification of each participant
• EHS compliance review
• GHS compliance review
• Workshop management & optimization
Other Customized Services
• Safety advisor
• DG management policy setup
• DG evaluation
• DG emergency hotline
• Supply chain management