Japanese INCI Labeling Name Application: A Comprehensive Regulatory Overview
In accordance with Article 61 of the “Act on Securing Quality, Efficacy and Safety of Products Including Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices” (2023 revision) implemented in Japan since 1960 by the Cabinet Office, it is required to label cosmetic products with the Japanese INCI (International Nomenclature Cosmetic Ingredient) names of their ingredients on the packaging for sale in Japan. Companies need to apply to the Japan Cosmetic Industry Association to complete the registration process and obtain the Japanese INCI names for their ingredients.
Definitions of foreign cosmetic production distributors and foreign cosmetic manufacturers in Japan are as follows:
- Foreign cosmetic production distributors refer to companies registered outside Japan that produce and sell cosmetics outside Japan and distribute them to end customers.
- Foreign cosmetic manufacturers refer to companies registered outside Japan that produce and sell cosmetics outside Japan.
- Initial consultation, gather relevant information from the client and translate the ingredients name into Japanese.
- Submit the Japanese INCI name application of ingredient to the Japanese Cosmetic Industry Association online and by mail.
- The application process is expected to be completed within approximately 7 days, provided that all necessary documents are provided.
Required Application Documents
- Applicant information (company name, contact person, address, phone number, etc.).
- Foreign manufacturer information (country, company name, address, phone number, etc.).
- Basic information of the ingredient, and the standard INCI English name of the material issued by the Personal Care Products Council (PCPC).
Why Choose REACH24H
- Wholly-owned subsidiary in Japan with a team of technical and legal professionals who have been deeply involved in the Japanese beauty industry for many years and possess industry qualifications.
- Abundant cooperative resources, including the Japan Cosmetic Industry Association, the Japan Association for Nail and Skin Care, and Japanese testing institutions.
- An independent regulatory information platform that provides real-time regulatory tracking, in-depth analysis, and professional database support.
- Serving 1000+ cosmetic companies globally, including numerous Fortune Global 500 companies.
- Global branches and multilingual service capabilities, efficient international service capabilities