China Fertilizer Regulation
China Fertilizer Regulations
|Laws and Regulations||Time||Official Document|
|Order No. 32, MOA||23-06-2000（2022）||Administration of Fertilizer Registration|
|Proclamation No. 161, MOA||25-05-2001||Fertilizer Registration Data Requirements|
|Order No. 74, President||28-12-2002||Agriculture Law of the People\’s Republic of China|
|Order No. 49, President||29-04-2006||Law of the People\’s Republic of China on Quality and Safety of Agricultural Products|
|Proclamation No. 2287, MOA||07-08-2015||Fertilizer Registration Approval Standard|
|Proclamation No. 2291, MOA||02-09-2015||Fertilizer Online Declaration|
|Order No. 8-2017, MOA||30-11-2017||MOA Decision: Amend and Repeal Certain Regulations and Normative Documents about Administration of Fertilizer Registration and Fertilizer Registration Data Requirements|
|Proclamation No. 222, MOA||14-10-2019||Administrative Licensing Service Guide|
|MOA Office  No. 15||30-09-2020||Notice on Filing Management of Some Fertilizer Products|
|Order No. 1, MOA||07-01-2022||Administration of Fertilizer Registration（Revised Edition）|
China Fertilizer Product Compliance Requirements
|Management Department||Work Area|
|Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of the People’s Republic of China (MOA)||Approve and issue fertilizer registration certificates according to the comprehensive review opinions of the Fertilizer Registration Review Committee, and make announcements.|
|Fertilizer Registration Review Committee||Responsible for comprehensive review of the chemical property, efficiency and safety of the fertilizer products.|
|Provincial Agricultural Authority||Accept the fertilizer registration application of enterprises in the local administrative region, assess the production conditions of the enterprises, and have the initial review of application materials of fertilizer products before being submitted and registered in the MOA.|
|County-level City Agricultural Authority||Responsible for fertilizer supervision and management in its administrative region|
Qualification of Applicants
1) Domestic Applicants: Chinese manufacturers
Fertilizer manufacturers in Chinese mainland area, with independent legal entity and business license, including sino-foreign joint venture.
Domestic applicants should firstly apply for production capacity assessment and material preliminary review to the provincial agricultural and rural departments, and then apply for product registration to the National Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (MOA).
2) Overseas Applicants: Fertilizer manufacturers outside Chinese mainland area such as Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, or Fertilizer manufacturers from other foreign countries.
Overseas applicants can also apply for fertilizer registration, but before application the overseas applicant needs to designate a Chinese legal entity as the only representative responsible for the work of fertilizer registration, importing and etc.
Types of Fertilizer Registration
1) Fertilizer Registration
For fertilizer products that need field demonstration test and trial sale after field plot test, the producer shall apply for fertilizer registrations.
The validity period of the fertilizer registration certificate is 5 years. To remain the validity of the registration certificate, a renewal application shall be handled 90 days before the expiration of the validity period.
2) Renewal Registration
If it is necessary to continue to produce and sell the product, the producer shall apply for renewal of registration within 90 days before the expiration of the registration certificate
The renewal registration is also valid for 5 years.
3) Modification Registration
Within the validity period of the registration certificate, if the product’s use scope, name and enterprise name are changed without involving the product quality, the producer shall apply for the modification registration.
4) Fertilizer Filing Record
According to the Notice on Filing Management of Some Fertilizer Products (MOA Office  No. 15) issued by the China MOA, the registrations of 7 types of fertilizers including: water-soluble macronutrient fertilizers, water-soluble fertilizers containing calcium and magnesium, water-soluble fertilizers containing micronutrients, magnesium potassium sulfate for agriculture, magnesium potassium chloride for agriculture, bulk blending fertilizer and compound fertilizer shall be cancelled and the compliance requirements of these 7 types of fertilizers should be changed into filing record management. The filing record is long-term valid.
Classifications of Fertilizer Products Requiring Registration Compliance
|Types of Fertilizer Products||Compliance Requirements||Authority|
|Microbial Inoculants in Agriculture
Microbial Organic Fertilizers
Compound Microbial Fertilizers
Organic Matter-decomposing Inoculant
Concentrated Inoculant of Agriculture microorganism
Soil Remediation Inoculant
|Water-soluble Fertilizers containing Amino-acids
Water-soluble Fertilizers containing Humic-acids
Organic water-soluble fertilizers
Water-soluble Fertilizer containing Silicon
Non Water Soluble Secondary Element Fertilizers
Agro-forestry Absorbent Polymer
Urea ammonium nitrate solution
Modified ammonium nitrate for agriculture
Calcium ammonium nitrate for agricultural use
Calcium nitrate for agriculture use
Magnesium sulfate for agricultural use
Synergistic nitrogen fertilizer
|Other Fertilizers||Organic Inorganic Compound Fertilizer
Rice Nursery Soil Conditioner
|Provincial Agricultural Department|
|Water-soluble Macronutrient Fertilizers
Water-soluble Fertilizers containing Calcium and Magnesium
Water-soluble Fertilizers containing Micronutrients Magnesium Potassium Sulfate for Agriculture
Magnesium Potassium Chloride for Agriculture
|Other fertilizers||Compound Fertilizer
Bulk Blending Fertilizer
|Provincial Agricultural Department|
Compliance Processes of Different Fertilizer Registrations
- Fertilizer Registration Process
- Renewal Registration Process
- Modification Registration Process
Prohibitive Requirements of Fertilizer Products
For fertilizer products with the following circumstances, the registration application will not be accepted:
- Foreign products with no certificate of use (registration) in origin countries.
- Products that do not meet the national industrial policy.
- Products with disputed intellectual property rights.
- Products that do not meet national or industry standards requirements for safety, health, environmental protection, etc.
- MOA has made the decision not to accept the approval or refuse the approval in less than a year due to the reasons that the applicant conceals the facts or provides false materials in fertilizer registration.
- Before the product registration approval is completed, the same applicant submits the same product registration application.
According to Administration of Fertilizer Registration issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of China, relevant responsible person will get punished if follow business behaviors happen.
1. In the following cases, the agricultural administrative department will give warnings and fine that is not more than 3 times of illegal income, and the maximum fine will not exceed ¥30,000; if there is no illegal income, the fine shall be ¥10,000 or less.
(1) Producing and selling fertilizer products that do not have registration certificates.
(2) Counterfeiting fertilizer registration certificates or registration certificate numbers.
(3) The active ingredients or contents of the fertilizer products produced or sold are inconsistent with the contents registered on the registration certificate.
2. In the following cases, the agricultural administrative department will give warnings and fine that is not more than 3 times of illegal income, and the maximum fine will not exceed ¥20,000; if there is no illegal income, the fine shall be ¥10,000 or less.
(1) Transferring the fertilizer registration certificates or registration certificate numbers.
(2) Fertilizer product continues to be produced without the approval of renewal registration after the expiration of the registration certificates.
(3) There is no label on the product package; the label is incomplete; or the label content is modified without authorization.
China Fertilizer Registration Consultation
- Fertilizer Registration
- Renewal Registration
- Modification Registration
- Fertilizer Filing Record
- Field Test Supervision
- Annual Quality Inspection
- Sample Testing
- Label Management
- Fertilizer Regulation Training
EU Fertilizer Registration Consultation
U.S. Fertilizer Registration Consultation
Why Choose Us
REACH24H has been dedicated to studying and following Global Fertilizer and Pesticide Regulations since 2014. After 9 years compliance experience, we are specialized in providing agrochemical (i.e. fertilizer and pesticide) regulatory compliance services in China, USA and Europe. By providing the one stop service, REACH24H has helped Top 200 global fertilizer or pesticide enterprises fully fulfil the compliance requirements of China，EU and USA fertilizer and pesticide registrations including product registration type analysis, data gap analysis, compliance analysis strategy report, trail supervision, registration dossier preparation and submission, etc.
Over the years of compliance, REACH24H has also developed very good relationship and close networks with lots of global fertilizer and pesticide government authorities and testing laboratories in China, Europe and the USA etc., all these relationships would help us access the latest news of regulations, better understand regulations, timely know law enforcement actions from competent authorities, speed up application process, and save costs.